Toast Skagen, english version 0
Don’t ask for a toast Skagen if you visit the Danish fishing village of Skagen. This toast is a Swedish invention. The original recipe of Skagen-mix, made up by famous chef Tore Wretman, contains only shrimps, mayonnaise and ground whitepepper. Over time the recipe has changed and ingredients have been added by different cold buffet chefs. Nowadays you almost never find Skagen-mix without dill, for example.
- 4 slices of white bread
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 500 g cooked small scandinavian shrimps
- ½ dl mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 pinch of white pepper
- To serve:
- 4 lemon wedges
- 4 sprigs of dill
- 4 teaspoons whitefish caviar
- Cut the crust off rom the breadslices, or take out round (or heart shaped) pieces with a cutter.
- Melt the butter in a fryingpan and fry the breadslices into golden brown. Take the bread out and let them cool on a wire rack.
- Peel the shrimps and cut the biggest ones into pieces. Put them in a bowl. Add mayonnaise, dill and pepper, and mix.
- Put the mix on top of the breadslices and garnish with lemon, dill and caviar.